Where does Xero get the GST figures for the BAS?
Xero uses one GST account, and only includes transactions from this account in the Business Activity Statement (BAS). Xero uses your selected tax treatment and tax rate to determine where to include your transactions in the BAS.
How does Xero calculate GST for BAS?
Xero includes GST in your BAS based on the GST Accounting Method selected in Activity statement settings. If you choose:
Cash Basis - Based on the transaction's payment date.
Accruals Basis - Based on the transaction date. GST on expense claims is included on the accruals basis based on the claim's reporting date.
For Spend Money and Receive Money transactions, the transaction date is used for both cash basis and accruals basis.
Manual journals are included based on the journal date. They will only be included on a cash basis if the Show journal on cash basis reports checkbox is selected.
Tax treatment and tax rate on transactions
You can choose whether a transaction has GST, how Xero will calculate it, and the tax rate Xero applies to each line item.
- Xero uses the Tax Rate on each line item to calculate the tax on that line. The total tax for the transaction is the sum of the tax on each line.
- If you select Tax Inclusive, the transaction will include the tax for each line item in the subtotal.
- If you select Tax Exclusive, the tax is excluded from each line item and added on after the subtotal.
- If you select Tax Inclusive or Tax Exclusive for a transaction, the tax rate for each line item will default to the tax rate set for the account. If required, you can choose a different tax rate for each line item.
- If you select No Tax for a transaction, Xero applies the BAS Excluded tax rate to the whole transaction. Xero will exclude the transaction from your BAS.
- If your transaction is reportable on your BAS but doesn't incur GST (GST is 0%), select Tax Inclusive or Tax Exclusive and choose a tax rate with 0% GST other than BAS Excluded.
See GST Calculation Worksheet to learn how the tax treatment and tax rates determine where transactions go in the BAS.
Additional GST accounts aren't included in GST reports
On the default chart of accounts in Xero the GST account is the system account 820 - GST. If you create another GST account in the chart of accounts, Xero won't include it in the BAS.