Bulk edit tax values for fixed assets
Edit the tax depreciation details of multiple fixed assets using the bulk update feature.
About bulk editing tax values
- To bulk update tax depreciation details, download the existing details in a CSV file, and re-upload it after making the required changes.
- Only tax depreciation details can be edited using this process. Changes made to any other fields in the CSV file will be ignored.
- You can't add new assets using this process. To add new assets, use Xero's fixed asset import process.
- Tax depreciation details are updated as at your tax depreciation start date. If you've run depreciation past this date, you'll need to roll it back.
- You can add assets to pools using the bulk update process, but you can't use it to transfer assets to pools. Transfers to pools need to be made outside the bulk edit process.
Before you start, make sure that:
- Tax reporting is turned on.
- All fixed assets you want to update are registered.
- Any pools you want to add assets to are set up.
- There's no 'all users' lock date preventing changes on your tax reporting start date.
Assets included in the download file
The CSV file you download will include all non-pooled assets, and all pool additions.
It will exclude all draft, sold and disposed assets. It will also exclude any pool transfers.
If you need to roll back depreciation before clicking Bulk Update, this will remove any transferred assets from their pools. As they will now be non-pooled assets, they will be included in the download file. To keep them as transfers you can either:
- Transfer them back to their pools, then click Bulk Update to download a new CSV file with the transferred assets excluded.
- Leave them as non-pooled assets during the bulk update, and transfer them back to their pools afterwards.
Download the registered asset file
- On the Settings menu, select General Settings.
- Under Features, click Fixed Assets.
On the Tax Reporting tab, click Bulk Update.
- Click Download Registered Assets. A CSV file of your registered assets downloads to your computer.
Enter information into the template
- On your computer, navigate to the downloaded file and open it in a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
- Enter or edit information in tax depreciation columns X to AH only, following the rules and formatting requirements.
- Save the updated CSV file on your computer. Keep it in CSV format. If you have more than 500 registered assets in your file, split it so that each file has no more than 500 assets.
Upload the completed template to Xero
- In Xero, go back to the Update Registered Assets page (if you navigated away from it).
- Select your date format.
- Click Browse and select your updated CSV file.
- Click Continue.
- Click Update. If you have more than one file, repeat the update process.