Adviser user role
The Adviser user role has full control over the accounts, with the same access to Xero as Standard users, but with extra permissions. These include access to lock periods and the ability to publish reports.
About the Adviser user role in Partner Edition
If you are using Xero Partner Edition, you'll have the Adviser user role for each client organisation you manage. You may give your clients the Cashbook Client role, Managed Client user role, or Adviser role (Cashbook plan only).
The Adviser user role differs slightly between Partner Edition and Business Edition. If your client's organisation is on a Partner Edition pricing plan, you won't be able to:
- Approve sales invoices, bills or purchase orders
- Add overpayments and prepayments.
The Adviser user role in Partner Edition can create and run adviser report packs (unlike the Adviser user role in Business Edition).
About the Adviser user role in Business Edition
In Business Edition, the Adviser user role can do the same things as a Standard (Cash Coding) user, including approving invoices and bills, and adding overpayments or prepayments. They can also:
- Publish reports
- Set and change lock dates.
If you're a business owner or administrator using Xero, you might invite your accountant or bookkeeper to have the Adviser user role, even if you only need them once or twice a year to help close off your accounts.
The Adviser's dashboard
The Adviser's dashboard allows access to:
- All bank accounts, sales invoices, bills and expense claims
- Summary graphs for running bank balances and sales invoice and bill payments
- A list of accounts on a chart of accounts Watchlist (optional).
The Adviser user role has an extra menu called Adviser that provides access to manual journals, the Assurance Dashboard, and recoding.
The Adviser user role has full access to:
- Cash coding
- Sales invoices (in Business Edition)
- Quotes (in Business Edition)
- Bills (in Business Edition)
- Purchase orders (in Business Edition)
- Inventory items
- Expense claims
- Fixed assets
The Adviser user role can also export General Ledger transactions and uncoded statement lines.
The Adviser user role can:
- Access all reports, including the Management Report and Reconciliation Reports
- View, run, copy, edit and publish reports
- Create customised report layouts
- Post manual journals
- Save reports for others to view as draft, published or archived.
Adviser roles using Partner Edition in New Zealand and Australia also have the ability to create report pack templates for their practice.
The Adviser user role has full access to contacts.
They must have the Contact Bank Account Admin user permission to add and edit bank accounts for contacts.
Fixed asset register
The Adviser user role can:
- Set and change the fixed assets start date.
- Set and change the tax reporting start date.
- Make changes to the fixed assets settings.
- Add, edit and dispose draft and registered assets.
- Create and edit pools.
- Run and roll back depreciation.
- Run, publish and view the fixed assets and depreciation reports.
The Adviser user role can access and change all Xero settings.
The Adviser user role has full access to currencies if the organisation has purchased a pricing plan that includes multi-currency.
If you are the subscriber for your organisation, you can purchase a pricing plan that includes multi-currency.
The multi-currency option is not available to Xero Partner Edition organisations, only to Business Edition organisations.
As long as someone with the Adviser user role has the manage users permission, they can:
- View, add, edit and delete users
- Set each user's role.
Manage users permission doesn't extend to managing the subscriber role. Only the subscriber for your organisation can transfer the role to someone else.
The Adviser user role without the manage users permission, can only view the list of users for the organisation.
Helping with setup
Xero users can invite someone with the Adviser user role into their organisation during setup. The Adviser user role is sent an email invitation so they can review financial settings, help set up the chart of accounts, or enter conversion balances.
For practices using Partner Edition, those with the Adviser role can be given the Provide Support option. This enables clients to send them queries from within Xero.
The Adviser user role can access the Assurance Dashboard to monitor the accuracy and integrity of client data, including:
- User activity details
- Manually reconciled transactions and deleted statement lines
- Contacts with identical or edited bank accounts
- Backdated invoices and bills
The Adviser user role can access the recoding tool to edit accounts, contacts, tax rates, and tracking across multiple transaction lines.