Getting started with Xero connected apps
Here's an overview of how connected apps work with Xero.
Checks before you start
- You'll need the Adviser or Standard user role in Xero to set up the connection with a third-party app.
- You can connect as many different apps as you want with your Xero organisation, but you can't connect multiple accounts from the same app with one organisation. For example, if you have 2 Shopify accounts, only one can be connected with a Xero organisation.
Setting up the integration
- For most apps, set up the connection by logging in to the third-party app and following their instructions. You'll be forwarded to Xero later in the process.
- The third-party app receives a token that can access the required data in your Xero organisation. You don't share your Xero login details with the app.
- You'll need to map your accounts and tax settings in the third-party app so your transactions can be imported in to Xero. We suggest talking to your accountant before you start.
Imported transactions in Xero
- If a transaction has been imported in to Xero from an app, the history section of the transaction will show that it's been created by a system generated user.
- If the contact name on an imported transaction doesn't exactly match a Xero contact, a new contact is created in Xero.
Need more help?
If you have any questions about connecting with a third-party app, get in touch the app's support team. Contact details for each app are available on the Xero App Marketplace. You'll need to search for an app, then find their support link on the app's page.