Import customer and supplier contacts into Xero
Import your customer and supplier contacts into Xero using a CSV or TXT file you've created, or exported from another system or Xero organisation. If you already have contacts in Xero you can import additional contacts or make changes to existing contacts.
Importing contacts is one way to enter them in Xero. Other ways are:
- Adding contacts directly in the Contacts screen.
Creating your contacts
- Adding contacts automatically when you create an invoice, bill or other transaction for a customer or supplier for the first time.
On this page:
- Points to note about importing contacts
- Create your import file
- Enter or copy your contacts into your import file
- Tips for creating your contacts import file
- Tips for updating existing contacts
- Import your contacts file into Xero
Elsewhere in Help Centre:
- Entering and editing customer and supplier contact details
- Export your customer and supplier contacts
You can't import contacts directly into a particular group. Allocate contacts to a group after you import them.
Xero displays contacts in alphabetical order, regardless of the order they appear on the import file.
Enter customers and suppliers on the same import file. Xero automatically classifies the contacts when you enter invoices and bills for them.
You can import up to 1000 contacts per file. If you have more than 1000 contacts to import, create separate files and import them.
Contacts need to be imported into Xero on a CSV or TXT file using the Xero template. Xero can then map the values in your file to the correct contact fields in Xero.
You can create your import file in 2 ways:
- Download a blank template - use this method if you are creating your import file from scratch, or transferring contacts from another accounting system.
- Export a contact file from Xero to use as a template - use this method if you will be importing contacts from another Xero organisation, or adding to or editing your contacts in your current Xero organisation.
Follow this process if you are creating your contacts import file from scratch, or transferring contacts from another accounting system.
- From the main header, select Contacts, then All Contacts.
- Click Import.
- Click Download template file.
Xero will download the template file to your computer. You can now enter or copy your contacts into the CSV template file.
Enter or copy your contacts into your import file
Use this method to create your import file if you are importing contacts from another Xero organisation, or adding to or editing your contacts in your current Xero organisation.
You can use a spreadsheet program or text editor to add or edit your contacts in the import file. We'll use a spreadsheet program in our examples.
To make changes to the import file:
- Navigate to the downloaded file on your computer and open it.
- To add a contact, enter details in a blank row (either at the end of the file or a new row you have inserted).
Only the Name field is mandatory. Each name must be unique.
- To edit a contact, make changes in the appropriate column.
Ensure the header row is in place and you do not delete any columns. If you don't want data in a column, just leave it blank.
- Check the tips for creating your contacts import file to ensure the data will import correctly.
- When you have completed the import file, save it as CSV or TXT file format ready for importing into Xero.
Import your contacts file
Data entered in the EmailAddress, FirstName and LastName columns will populate as the primary person for your contact. Enter additional people in Xero after the contact has been imported.
Primary person and additional people
Columns requiring data in a specific format are:
- AccountsReceivableTaxCodeName and AccountsPayableTaxCodeName
- DueDateBillDay and DueDateSalesDay
- 2 numbers for the day of the month, if you enter Current Month or Following Month in the DueDateBillTerm or DueDateSalesTerm field. For example, bills for this supplier are due on the 30th day of the month following the bill date.
- 3 numbers, if you enter Days After in the DueDateBillTerm or DueDateSalesTerm field. For example, invoices for this customer are due 7 days after invoice date.
- DueDateBillTerm and DueDateSalesTerm
- Current Month
- Following Month
- Days After
- Days After End of Month
Ensure it is in correct email format, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use spaces to separate country code, area code and the number. Xero will populate these components separately.
Enter your supplier's full bank account number for batch payments. Hyphens and spaces are not needed.
Add or change a supplier's bank account details
Ensure you use the same name used in the Name field on the Tax Rates screen.
This must have http:// at the beginning of the address, for example, http://www.xero.com.
Enter up to:
Enter one of the following exactly (without the bullet, and with spaces and capitals):
If you have exported contacts from an existing Xero organisation so you can update them, take note of the tips above for creating your contacts file, as well as the following tips.
If you change the Name field for a contact on the import file, Xero will create a new contact. If you need to change a contact's name, do this in Xero.
How to update a contact's details
If you change the EmailAddress, FirstName or LastName fields for a contact, this will overwrite the primary person's details in Xero.
Additional people's names and email addresses are not included in the exported file and are not affected by the import.
If you import a new email address for an existing contact who is a recipient of repeating invoices, the repeating invoice template will not be updated. You will need to update this separately.
Changing email addresses on repeating invoices
- Make sure you've saved your import file in CSV or TXT format.
- From the main header, select Contacts, then All Contacts.
- Select Import.
- Click Browse and select the saved import file on your computer.
- Indicate how you want Xero to handle empty fields on import. Click Import.
- Review the information to be imported. When you are satisfied that it is correct, click Complete Import.
Once the import is complete, your contacts will display on the All tab in Contacts. From there, you can create groups, update information, merge, archive or start entering transactions for your contacts.